John West Salmon Bear Fight
|Picture Taken On:
Released on November 20, 2000
Invercauld Estate, near Balmoral, on Deeside
|Behind the Camera:
Cameraman, Stephen Blackman
The actor playing John West and an actor in a bear suit who was duplicated three more times to create the other bears. Neil Morrissey (the voice of Postman Pat) does the voice over.
Last Updated on 2010-6-25
by Dean Lucas
Video Break Down
Voice Over:At the river mouth the bears catch only the tastiest most tender salmon, which is exactly what we at John West want.
- Camera zooms into one of the bears that has just caught a fish. Out of the corner of the screen a fisherman with orange pants runs up to the bear and engages in kung fu fighting. The bear delivers a kick or two then the man calls out, "Oh look - an eagle!" With a kick to the bear’s groin. The bear falls and the man takes off with the fish.
Voice Over:John West endure the worst to bring you the best.
Man in a Suit
Paul Silburn did an interview where he talked about filming the spot:
The commercial was shot on the Invercauld Estate, near Balmoral, on the river Dee in the Scottish Highlands.
↓ Article continues below ↓
The ‘Bear’ ad won several awards when it was released including:
- British Television Advertising Awards - "Best Commercial of the Year" (2001)
- Advertising Creative Circle Awards - "Winner" (2001)
- Intl. Food & Beverage - (Creative Excellence Awards) "FAB Award" (2001)
- CLIO Awards - "Gold" (2001)
- Cannes Lions (Intl. Ad Festival) - "Gold Lion" Savory Foods (2001)
- The One Show - "Bronze" (2001)
- London Intl. Ad Awards (LIAA) - "Grand Prize", Food "Winner" &
Humour "Winner" (2001)
- Eurobest - "Grand Prix" (2001)
- International ANDY Awards - "Winner" (2002)
- The Gunn Report